Wednesday, December 7, 2011

BCS Fiasco Part Deux...

     Welcome bloggowers!!! I wanted to continue the discussion from yesterday regarding the BCS National Championship Game.  Lets be honest... The major thing that drives all of us crazy is just how whacky the BCS system actually is. I mean you have to win your conference championship to be in the BCS Championship Game right?!?! NOPE!  Well, you at least have to win your division in your conference right?!?! NOPE! Come on doooooooown Alabama!  I am torn on this because as bad as I think it sounds that Alabama didn't even win the SEC West I still believe they are the safest pick at #2.  However, Oklahoma State did win their conference and did it pretty damn convincingly, and as I said yesterday their one loss was after the tragedy involving OSU's women's basketball coach and assistant. Furthermore, we as college football fans have already seen this show! Alabama had their chance to defeat LSU on their home turf and failed thanks to their field goal kicker who cleary had to be pounding whiskey on the sidelines before every kick to miss as badly as he did on every single field goal attempt. That was pretty pathetic. 

     Back to the awful BCS system though. I am not saying the system is awful because in my opinion it is better than the old way #1 and # 2 was decided.  However, if we are going to stick to the BCS there needs to be some changes made. I am all for a plus one system.  LSU v. Stanford and Alabama v. OSU=WOW!!!!  Talking about making $$$ BCS... am I right? However, I think a major issue that needs to be addressed is just how important is it to win your conference championship. I don't see that as a requirement to play in the BCS Championship game but it just makes sense. You at least have to give credit to the teams that do win their conference... Hell, give OSU a couple extra percentage points for winning their conference. As it stands now, OSU wasn't really rewarded for winning their conference as far as the BCS is concerned. Start giving credit to the teams that win their conference title. Having four teams in a playoff at least lets America see how things would settle on the field. Of course someone is always going to find something to complain about... What happens if there are five really good teams? Well, poor number five is just left out. You have got to draw the line somewhere. There is normally always a great argument for three teams that should be allowed to play in the BCS Championship Game and a lot of times four teams... Remember when Southern Cal and Oklahoma played in the BCS Championship Game and an undefeated Auburn team got left out?  That 55-19 beatdown was really interesting. 

     Bottom line... This system sucks... Modify the BCS system and do it quickly please. The biggest issue to bring some clarity though is to at least acknowledge that winning your conference counts for something...  I am not saying it should be required to be able to play in the National Championship game, but teams should at least be rewarded in a way that will help them in the BCS Standings. 

     Coming up in the next couple of posts I am going to compare the seasons of Clemson and Carolina.  I am also going to breakdown some of the bowl games that I consider the most interesting.  Thank you to all my readers, and I hope you all are having a marvelous week!
    

3 comments:

  1. This line literally made me laugh out loud:

    "Alabama had their chance to defeat LSU on their home turf and failed thanks to their field goal kicker who cleary had to be pounding whiskey on the sidelines before every kick to miss as badly as he did on every single field goal attempt."

    Good thing I was reading at home and not in the office!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree the BCS needs to change. A full on playoff may never happen but a plus one could really gain some steam again, especially if the B12 is on board this time.

    ReplyDelete